Monday, October 6, 2014

Getting to know my fellow authors

So my wonderful publisher has been setting us challenges lately to try to boost our sense of teamwork, and boost our promotions as well. This week, we're interviewing other Naughty Nights Press authors with whom we don't normally interact with, and to ask questions that aren't usually asked in author interviews. So today, I would like to introduce Denysé Bridger. I hope you enjoy getting to know a little bit more about her, just as I have. 

1. When did you know writing was what you wanted to do?

I think I realized back in high school that I loved to write and create, but it never occurred to me as a career choice. A wonderful high school teacher told me I’d make a great writer and I thought she had to be kidding. Years later, she attended my first book launch, and it was wonderful.

I always wrote in one way or another, poetry, short essays. I wrote my first “real” story as an adult based on a TV series I loved, and that began a 20 year stint as a fan fiction writer, so it’s always been there in one way or another.


2. What do you draw inspiration from? Any from your everyday life?

Inspiration for me comes from everywhere and everyone. Songs, movies, overheard conversations, images I see. I collect images that speak to me, so you can well imagine the files I have in various folders. I think as writers we draw on everything that touches us in some way, good, bad, agonizing hurts, it all plays a part in the way we craft emotions into words and stories for readers.

3. What has been your favourite moment since becoming an author?

I don’t really know if there is a favourite moment. I know it was pretty awesome to see my name on a posted announced as the guest author at signings and stuff like that always makes you feel a bit in awe. Mostly though I think it’s about connecting with readers. I remember the very first review I read, it was a five star from Just Erotic Romance Reviews, and I was just beside myself I was so pleased. Special memories are attached to just about all work that is special to the author in some way.

4. Your least favourite moment? (not necessary if you don't have one, or feel it's too negative/personal)
Least favourite moment has to be the first time I realized my books were being pirated. That didn’t happen until last year, and it’s been an on-going battle ever since. Bad reviews are easy to toss off, theft of your work isn’t so easy to dismiss, at least initially. I’ve reached a point where I pretty much ignore it now. It would be a full-time job for a team of people to keep up with all of it. The other moment that will always be with me is the first time an author attacked me publicly and hunted me all over the internet to rip me apart because I wouldn’t respond to him. Oddly, other authors from that same publishing house took it upon themselves to do the same thing when I refused to “join” them on their crusade against the publishing house. I expect it could be the same again with another of my current publishers.
5. What is one book/series you could read over and over?
Lara Adrian’s Midnight Breed series, and Nalini Singh’s Guild Hunter series. Both are exceptional, inventive, engaging stories, beautifully told. Lori Foster’s Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor is another set that I love.
6. Is there any genre outside of your "comfort zone" that you would like to try to write?
None that I can think of, except possibly hard core science fiction. I just don’t have the imagination for it, and I’m in awe of those who do. I can write fantasy worlds, I just feel very lacking in the knowledge to craft good science fiction.
7. What is your biggest goal for your writing?
These days the biggest goal is to actually write again. I’ve spent most of the past year learning and studying, so there have been few new works. I’ve got several wonderful new books all plotted and outlined and I’m just dying to get back to writing. I have at least two contracts to fulfill on the older stories, then I can look ahead and start over with fresh perspective.
8. What are some everyday challenges you have to contend with when writing?
For me the on-going and ever-present challenge is time. Just finding the time to write is a nightmare some days. I’m a caregiver for an aging parent who is entering early stages of dementia. I never know what’s going to happen next, and the demands are endless. There’s not really an hour of the day that I’m not jumping up to do something for her.
9. And of course where can we find you and your writing?
I’m all over the place, so here’s a list of the main links:

WebsiteMobile websiteFantasy Pages (general)Bound by Passion (adult content)NewsletterTwitterFacebookPinterestLinkedInTumblrGoogle+Romance and Fantasy Google+ PageAmazon Author PageSmashwordsBarnes & NobleKobo BooksARe Romance BooksSensual Treats MagazineRandom Acts of Sex and RomanceInstagramMySpaceGoogle+

Thanks so much for the very interesting interview, Phoenix!

Blessings to all,

Denysé

"Live the Romance, Become the Fantasy..."
** Preditors & Editors Best Author 2012-2013 **
http://www.denysebridger.com
http://www.denysebridger.weebly.com

I don't know about you, but I found that very enlightening! Great to get to know you a bit better, Denysé!