Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Hump Day Hook Feb 13

This is a hook from my short/novellette (depends what happens during edits because it's right on the border word count wise), The Return of Their Master. Haven't thought about this one for a while, it's waiting for edits so thought I might slip a hook from it in. 


It was my turn to grab his wrist, dragging him behind me as I marched to the corner up the back for some semblance of privacy. “I can’t,” I whispered loudly. “I can’t explain why but I just can’t. We can’t be.” I regretted my harsh tone but I knew it was necessary. He was better off without me in his life, no matter how dangerous even that was.  Tears threatened to well in the corners of my eyes but I fought them off, knowing it would demand an explanation I wasn’t ready to give.
Jake stared at me as though daring me to hold by my refusal before bowing his head and stepping back. “Alright then, if that’s what you want.”
“It’s not what I want, believe me, but it’s the way it has to be. I’m so sorry Jake.” It was getting harder to fight back to tears. I knew it was a losing battle so I had to get him to leave before I lost the fight. “You have to go, Jake. Please, just go.” I lowered my head, hiding my face as tears started to win. 

For other Hump Day Hooks, check out the "home" page here.