Sunday, March 18, 2012

Promo Monday: Cree Walker's Whisper on a Scream

This week I welcome the wonderful Cree Walker with her delightful tale, Whisper on a Scream. 


The werewolves are dying. Years of war between the Born werewolves and bitten, along with a lack of healthy bloodlines, has taken its toll on the race and if something isn’t done soon they will all be gone within the next fifty years. They are a strong breed, but they have one major weakness that will probably end them all. Werewolves, like their natural counterpart - the wolves breed for life; and if there is no mate, there is no life. A prolonged separation between mates can kill them more efficiently than any bullet ever could, and the Council members are playing with fire when they use this very weakness against Sugar Lubec, the Born daughter of two Bitten parents.The Council will do anything to prevent her from becoming the mate of Alpha Jack Coon, the leader of the largest werewolf pack in North America. Ending the war between the two groups is the only thing that can save the werewolves and bring Jack and Sugar together, but can they do it before they end up paying the ultimate price for their long separation; or will that price be the only thing that can end the war? 




Excerpt
My new friend convinced me to lay out on the back deck in my new swim suit with her before the guys got home. I was almost asleep in the hot sun sipping an icy margarita when I heard Jack hollering about the credit card company calling and asking if his card had been stolen. He was mad - raging in fact - and Sarah told me not to move when I tried covering up to go inside.
Jack was heading towards the glass doors when he stopped mid-sentence and walked right into them. Thump. Sarah covered her mouth to keep from spitting out her margarita, and I looked over to see Jack holding his nose with one hand and sliding open the clear door with the other. He stepped out onto the porch with Kyle behind him, smothering a laugh of his own.
“How much did that scrap cost me?” He pointed to the suit I was wearing.
I thought I would tempt fate and play this one out, so I rolled onto my stomach and showed the thong bottom off for all it was worth. “Well, you did say you were a good roofer.”
I reached out and picked up my glass of watery margarita and took a sip before stretching out and facing Sarah. She was doing her best to keep the smile off her face, but burst out laughing when she looked up at Jack’s expression.
“I’ll pay you back, Jack. Seeing you walk into that door was worth every penny,” Sarah said, continuing to laugh and I joined her, not being too subtle about it either.
I rolled over again and sat up pulling the hat I got him off the tiny table and said, “I got you a hat.” I dropped it onto my head and tilted my face back to see him from under its wide dark brim.
“No, I got me that hat,” Jack corrected.
I giggled and put the hat back on the table before laying back down in the warm sun.
The boys looked at each other and a moment passed between them that only close siblings can pull off. Jack walked down the stairs and Kyle pulled open a trapdoor on the deck.
Sarah jumped up and shrieked, “The hose!” She trotted off, leaving me in shock, when the blast of water hit me full force.
He held the icy water on full blast then started chasing Sarah and me around the backyard while Jack stood leaning against the house with an evil smile on his face. Kyle lost interest in chasing me and went off into the woods, with Sarah in tow. I made my way back to the porch shivering and nearly falling on the wet slippery grass. Jack was still smiling as I pulled the wrap off the lawn chair and tried covering myself with the sheer fabric.
“You think that’s funny?” I said through chattering teeth.
He didn’t move except for a nod of his head. He was wearing the hat I got him with his sunglasses - like the cowboy stripper from every woman’s fantasies. With a playful smile, I snatched up the pitcher of melted margaritas and emptied the contents in his face .
“See now, I didn’t do anything but watch.” He wiped a hand over his tanned skin.
“You turned on the water.” I pointed to the hose and started to stutter an apology, when he pushed away from the wall.
“I just thought Kyle wanted to water the flowers.” He walked slowly towards me.
I looked around the deck behind me. “You don’t have any flowers.”
“No, not yet.” He kept coming, and I had to run off of the deck.
I rolled my eyes at him. “Back off, I can think of better ways to die, thanks.”
He cocked his head to the side and gave me the smirk. “Really, like what?”
That caught me off guard. “Rescuing small children from a burning orphanage,” I said after too many seconds had passed.
He shook his head no and opened the glass door again, ushering me through and closing it behind us. He ran a gentle finger from the top of my shoulder to the base of my spine. I didn’t want to turn around. I was scared to turn around … He was like a feast for the eyes, and I didn’t want to get an appetite. As if I thought not seeing his beautiful face was going to be the deciding factor in whether I threw caution to the wind and jumped him right there on the kitchen floor or not.
He stepped up close to me, but didn’t touch me again. “Did you buy anything besides this?” He pulled gently at the wrap until I let it go, and he dropped it on the floor away from us.
I nodded my head to answer his question, but didn’t dare move otherwise.
“Did you miss me today?” He moved my hair to the side, draping it over my shoulder and out of his way.
I didn’t answer; it was a trick question, and I was damned either way.
“I missed you,” he whispered.
This surprised me, and I flinched when his hand went through my hair again. “What did you miss most?” I asked bravely.
He lowered his face to my throat and inhaled deeply. When he spoke again his voice was husky. “Everything; your smell, your strength, your body …”